2023 Stream Keepers for Youth Ages 11 to 14 at North Park
June 10 @ 9:30 am - June 17 @ 4:30 pm
This 2-day, citizen-scientist program teaches conservation to youth ages 11 to 14 through a variety of fun, hands-on activities that encourage youth to get out and explore the world around them.
Held over two consecutive Saturdays, it includes:
Day 1 (June 3):
- Explore the Water: Walk along the stream and lake. You might discover something new along the way!
- Knot Physics: Tie and test common fishing knots.
- Bug Hunt: Search for Macro-invertebrates in the stream. You’ll be amazed what you can find under a rock!
- Art Imitates Life: Learn to tie flies that match what you found on your Bug Hunt.
Day 2 (June 10):
- Go with the Flow: Release your rubber duck to measure key characteristics of streams and lakes
- Fishing with Physics: Learn how to cast a fly and properly fight a fish. Let the rod do the work!
- Scavenger Hunt: Put it all together and have some fun at the same time!
- Choose Your Adventure: Parents/Guardians are invited to join their youth for an afternoon of fishing and learning.
Register Here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stream-keepers-ages-11-to-14-registration-612446783817
What to Bring:
- Lunch and any additional food or beverages they would like to have.
- Bug Spray
- Any needed medications
- Shoes, sandals or rubber boots for wading in the stream
- Additional clothing or shoes if needed (they will get wet)
- Emergency contact information (we will also keep the registration information on-site)
- Youth are also welcome to bring cameras and cell phones to this event!
All volunteers for the event have been completed background checks and have experience in the areas they are leading.They are all active members of Trout Unlimited.
The event will be held outside at a covered pavilion in North Park.The pavilion has a porta-john and water fountain nearby.
PA Trout Unlimited will provide the journals, materials needed to participate, fishing equipment and anything else needed for the activities. We will also be providing some light snacks as well as drinks and water. Snacks will include peanut-free and gluten-free snack options.